On May 31st, 2022, a fire severely damaged the Silverlynn Apartments resulting in dozens of seniors being displaced from their homes. North Shore Emergency Management, BC Housing along with members of Westlynn Baptist Church, and others have been working tirelessly to help provide ongoing support to the evacuees.
At this time, our church is pleased to be able to open a designated fund to help receive donations that will be used to assist the affected seniors in rebuilding their lives. All funds will go directly to helping residents replace items that were destroyed in the fire and also to covering the costs of any other immediate needs they may have.
We are aware that the fund will not be able to meet every senior’s needs, and we recognize that different seniors have different levels of need. By establishing this fund, we hope both to give our community a chance to provide some help to needy seniors and also to try to prioritize distribution to those who are in greatest need based on our discretion in light of information we gather. We will later be able to provide a report upon request summarizing how we distributed the funds received for purposes of accountability.
If you would like to contribute to this fund, there are currently 4 ways to give:
- Cheque via Mail – You can mail a cheque to our church address (1341 East 27th Street, North Vancouver, BC V7J 1S6). Please write “Silverlynn Fire” in the memo line to ensure that your cheque is allocated to the designated fund and also e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org so that our administrator, Janet, can look out for your mail.
- Cash or Cheque In-Person on Sundays – You can come to the church on a Sunday and then pick up a Westlynn Baptist Church donation envelope from one of the ushers. Place your cheque or cash in the envelope, write “Silverlynn Fire” on the outside of the envelope and then deposit it in the donation box in the church foyer.
- Credit Card (through Canada Helps)
- Visit https://www.canadahelps.org/en/charities/westlynn-baptist-church/
- Please write “Silverlynn Fire” in the box that says, “Send a message to this charity (optional)” to ensure that your donation is allocated to the proper fund.
- Please note that with this option, your donation receipt will come from Canada Helps and NOT from Westlynn Baptist Church at the end of the year.
- Bank Account INTERAC e-transfer
May the Lord bless you as we serve our neighbours in their times of greatest need.
Religion that is pure and undefiled before God the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world. (Jam 1:27 ESV)
For more information, see the North Shore News article.